Tuesday 20 May 2014

We have booked ourselves in to a campsite in Bognor at the weekend so will be making the 50km trip there and back again on Sunday and Monday. 50 km is a reasonable training distance at this point - about half what we will need to cover daily in July.

In my experience and in that of others I've seen online, serious training is not 100% necessary. In the words of one expedition cyclist "The first day of training is the first day of the ride. Then you get up and do it again on day two." Although I had been building up on after work rides before I did the Stoke to Singapore trip, at 80 miles, the first day was around 50% further than I'd ever cycled before. So, you just get up in the morning, get on the bike and point the wheels in the right direction and then don't stop till the end of the day, (breaks notwithstanding).

Rosey's bike has Maxxis Overdrive tyres that inflate to 50psi. Pressure is not the be all and end all of rolling resistance but I'm considering getting her onto some much higher pressure tyres to try to rebalance things in her favour. I'm considering Schwalbe Marathon Plus or one of the Continental range. I'm sure some people will swear by the one and at the other, so it's probably going to be a matter of personal choice that swings it one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment